Year Established: 1970

Number of Members: 6

History of Area:

Portarlington was established in 1666, with the Huguenot settlement in 1694. To the present day one of the town’s main thoroughfares is still named “French Church Street”.

Tidy Towns Information:

The committee although small works with many other voluntary organisations within the town as well as local businesses and schools. In recent years Portarlington has consistently increased its points in the National Tidy Towns Competition and have moved from 214 points in 2010 to 258 in 2014. The group welcomed the support of the TUS personnel within the towns and the additional support from Laois and Offaly County Council. Portarlington has a biodiversity plan developed for the town, the recommendations of which will form a basis for the committees work plan for 2015. The group is also a member of the Laois Federation of Tidy Towns.

The work plan for 2015 is inclusive of:
The implementation of the recommendations from the Biodiversity Plan
Water conservation – installation of water butts around the town for watering planters
Restoration of the Barrow Bridge in conjunction with Laois County Council
Campaign to manage temporary posters/signage within the town
National Tidy Towns Competition
Cooperate with both Laois and Offaly County Council in relation to illegal dumping
Fundraising
Raise the profile of the group and increase group membership

Website / Facebook: http://www.porttidytowns.com or https://www.facebook.com/portarlington.tidytowns

Recent Awards or Achievements:

Pride of Place 2013

Inter Community Litter Challenge

 

Back To Top