Year Established: 1959
Number of Members: 10 very active, numbers increase as projects have to be delivered.
History of Area:
The town as we know it today owes its existence to John de Vesey who moved the town from Oldtown because it was a very damp site prone to flooding.
Tidy Towns Information:
Abbeyleix Tidy Towns Committee was established over fifty years ago in an effort to galvanize the community to work together to ensure Abbeyleix was not only a great place to live but to work in and visit also. Over the years the committee grew and forged alliances with the local town council, schools and community groups building a momentum that is in evidence today by the achievements of the local organisation.
The purpose of this website is to continue to communicate the Abbeyleix Tidy Towns message – Everyone can contribute to their local environment. We hope to increase the awareness of the Tidy Town initiatives by using this website to alert members of the community about our activities and also hope to grow our membership further. We can all make a difference.
Website / Facebook: www.abbeyleixtidytowns.net
Recent Awards or Achievements:
Goals for the future:
• For Abbeyleix to retain its status as an attractive heritage town.
• Promote environmental awareness, civic spirit and pride in the community.
• Encourage active participation and involvement of groups and organisations in environmental initiatives.
• Create innovative and effective projects and initiatives with a view to addressing local challenges.
• Ensure value for money through maximisation of resources and through effective and efficient delivery of services.
In 2015, Abbeyleix achieved Gold medal status in the National Competition.