Year Established: 1976
Number of Members: 10
History of Area:
Clonaslee village is known as a gateway to the Sliabh Blooms. Heritage Centre is blessed with stone, street house dating from 19th century. Victorian style lodae house, also Hickey’s pub. Two rivers namely Clodiagh & Gorrough, Brittas Castle, which is under construction goes back to the O’ Dunne Brittas. Ballinakill Castle also. Kilmainham Graveyard and Church 9th century monastery founded by St. Manman.
Tidy Towns Information:
Clonaslee Tidy Towns work two evenings a week. Litter pick twice daily and work with schools in parish re: green flag. Encourage all on litter managemenet. Have won many awards and they are housed at the Heritage Centre for viewing.
Website / Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/clonaslee.tidytowns
Recent Awards or Achievements:
- Won best Environment Award in Laois Federation.
- Secretary Maura O’ Gorman won unsung hero in 2012 with Laois Community Forum for her contribution to the Tidy TOwns and other groups for over 30 years.
- Chris Horan also won unsung hero in 2010.
Goals for the future:
• For Clonaslee to retain its status as an attractive heritage town.
• Promote environmental awareness, civic spirit and pride in the community.
• Encourage active participation and involvement of groups and organisations in environmental initiatives.
• Create innovative and effective projects and initiatives with a view to addressing local challenges.
• Ensure value for money through maximisation of resources and through effective and efficient delivery of services.