Number of Members: 9
History of Area:
Clough is a farming village situated 4 miles from Rathdowney, 14 miles from Portlaoise and 14 miles from Roscrea.
The village is comprised of a beautiful church built in the 1800’s, school and a pub. The first school was built in 1909 and is now a private dwelling. The present school was built in 1965.
The pub is an old establishment one known as “Mary’s Pub”. It also does B&B.
There is the parochial hall, graveyard and several private dwellings. There is also a lime kiln built in 1836 which supplied lime and lime stone for the church and other buildings. This was reconstructed a few years ago and is now a feature in the village.
There is also a beautifully reconstructed old world cottage at entrance to village, it was just recently thatched.
Clough village is in the parish of Aghaboe, which includes Aghaboe Abbey.
As stated by several Tidy Towns & Litter Judges – quote “A pleasant place to visit”.
Tidy Towns Information:
Clough have fared fairly well during the past years and with participation in the Inter Community Litter Challenge.
Clough is a small community group with limited resources but benefits from the help of workers from a FAS Scheme.